Stroke Signs and Symptoms
A “Stroke” or Brain Attack is when the brain’s blood supply is interrupted and the brain begins to be injured. The most two common causes are blood clots and plaque from excess cholesterol in the blood.
How to Recognize a Stroke
- Suddenly feeling weak in an arm, hand or leg
- Cannot feel one side of your face or body
- Suddenly cannot see out of one eye
- Suddenly have a hard time walking
- Cannot understand what someone is saying or unable to speak normally
- Feeling dizzy or losing your balance
- Having the worst headache you have ever had
How Can You Tell?
1. Ask the individual to smile.
2. Ask him or her to raise both arms.
3. Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence, like “It is sunny out today.”
IF THE INDIVIDUAL HAS TROUBLE WITH ANY OF THESE TASKS, CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY!